- Biologist Rupert Sheldrake Stabbed in Santa Fe "...if you have to get stabbed, Santa Fe is the best place for it to happen" (tags: santa.fe stabbing biology)
- LOLCat of the Day Oh noez, future douche bags. (tags: lolcat)
Recent Posts, Photos and Links | Page 26
Thursday, April 10th, 2008
Wednesday, April 9th, 2008
I will be walking in the Revlon Run/Walk for Women and I am looking for sponsors. The Revlon Run/Walk is one of the nation's largest 5K fundraising events and has distributed nearly $50 million for cancer research, counseling, and outreach programs. My strong, powerful and beautiful mother is a cancer survivor and I am proud to be walking in her honor.
Thanks for your support!
Tuesday, April 8th, 2008
I have my second gallery show coming up this Thursday at the Spring Arts Collective Gallery during the Art Walk in Downtown Los Angeles. If you're in the area please come by and take a look at the four framed pieces I will be showing. The show is a continuation of my "Land of Nuclear Enchantment" series that just wrapped up at Niche Video Art. Here are the specifics:
Thursday April 10th, noon to 9 p.m. (Reception: 7-9 p.m.)
Spring Arts Tower on the Mezzanine Level
453 South Spring Street (on the corner of 5th and Spring)
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Please come down and check out the show!
Friday, April 4th, 2008
- Our California Government is Talking About Closing 48 Parks Don't let this happen. Please sign the petition! (tags: california parks save.our.parks)
- More Information About Park Closures Please read this and take action. (tags: parks california)
- LOLCamel of the Day Worst song ever, great LOL. (tags: lolcamel)
Wednesday, April 2nd, 2008
Tuesday, April 1st, 2008
- Read This and Learn About the Middle East You should know more about your world. I know I'm always trying to learn more. Learning is good. (tags: middle.east islam muslim)
- LOLCat of the Day pt. 1 Feed it! (tags: lolcat)
- LOLCat of the Day pt. 2 OMG Cute! (tags: lolcat)
Monday, March 31st, 2008
Sunday, March 30th, 2008
Earlier this morning I went on my tenth Downtown Walkabout. I just got a Polar F11 heart rate monitor, as recommended to me by my sister-in-law, Merrilee. After telling it your stats and doing a resting heart-rate test you then go through a series of gradually more difficult exercises. This allows the system to determine your target heart rate for varying levels of exertion. Then you tell it how much you want to work out each week and it takes you through a series of exercise levels during your workout. At the end it tells you how many calories you burned and how long you worked out. Pretty cool! After an hour and 22 minutes of walking at a very brisk pace I burned 777 calories.
Anyhow, here are a few of the photos I shot on my walk:
Saturday, March 29th, 2008
Friday, March 28th, 2008
This morning I went on my 9th walkabout in Downtown LA. I decided to walk up to the Civic Center. I actually shot with a Canon Rebel XTi which I'm reviewing for WIRED News. It's not a bad camera, although it's quite and doesn't feel comfortable in my hands. Keep an eye out for the review coming soon. Here are a few of the photos I shot:
Wednesday, March 26th, 2008
This whole waking up early thing is great for my productivity. I've been getting a great deal of work done, and that's before the sun even rises. I've also been getting all my reading in and completing a round of lumosity. I have also exercising every morning, and today I took an hour long walk, covering about 4 miles. I shot some photos along the way:
Tuesday, March 25th, 2008
I love waking up early. This morning I rolled out of bed and started my day at 5:00 a.m. I love watching the sun come up and light up the skyline. I haven't been doing my walkabouts for a few days now, instead opting to do calisthenics in the loft, including jumping jacks, crunches, lunges and running in place.
Today I went for my walkabout despite the heavy coverage of smoke from a fire on 16th and Los Angeles. Today I walked up 5th street, over the Harbor Freeway and back down 6th street. Here are a few of the photos I shot along the way:
Click here to check out the rest of my Downtown LA Walkabout #7 gallery.
Monday, March 24th, 2008
Sunday, March 23rd, 2008
Saturday, March 22nd, 2008
- Birthday Photos Last night my mother-in-law rented a Duffy boat for my father-in-law and his mother's Birthdays. These are the photos my father-in-law took. (tags: fil duffy.boat boat birthday)
- Fair and Balanced Article on Filming In Downtown LA Amazingly enough, this article from Fox is pretty fair and accurate. Also quoted a bunch of my friends. (tags: filming downtown.la filmLA)
- LoLCat of the Day Power! (tags: lolcat)
- Cute Monkey Copycat Cute! (tags: monkey)
- Twitter Marriage Proposal How sweet! (tags: twitter marriage)
Friday, March 21st, 2008
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008
Earlier this year my lovely wife and I took a trip to the Bay Area to visit family and check out some cool stuff which I also shot for WIRED. One of the tours that my sister-in-law took us on was to the Internet Archive headquarters as well as a book scanning facility. The gallery went up on WIRED today:
Tuesday, March 18th, 2008
- The IE8 Standards Quandary This is a great read about IE 8. Read it if you're a web designer. (tags: xhtml css ie7 ie8 standards)
- Metro Construction Pushes Out Mariachis The musicians who hang out at Mariachi Plaza in Boyle Heights are being forced to relocate during the Metro Gold line extension construction. (tags: mariachi.plaza los.angeles)
Friday, March 14th, 2008
Penelope and I touched down in Hawaii today for a friend's wedding. We're staying at the Kauai Marriot in Lihue. Before we left I picked up a waterproof camera, the Olympus Stylus 850, which I'm very happy with so far. I love having a waterproof ultracompact camera. Here are a few shots from today:
Check out the rest of our Hawaii photo gallery.
Thursday, March 13th, 2008
- LolCat of the Day LOL (tags: lolcat wet.willy)
- 5D Mk II Coming In June I'm totally going to buy this camera. Will probably be selling both my 30D and 5D to afford it... or not. =] (tags: 5D Canon 5DMkII)
- LAT Thinks Downtown is in a Slump They don't have any actual facts to back it up though, just some quotes from people who wanted to move Downtown... over 5 years ago! They predict rents will drop, that would rock, please let me know when they do. (tags: downtown downtown.la latimes)
- LAT Mentions St. Francis Dam Collapse, Forgets About Mulholland In a short piece about the 80 year anniversary of the tragic collapse LAT doesn't even mention Mulholland. The dams destruction and the resulting flood also destroyed Mulhollands career. (tags: latimes mulholland st.francis.dam tragedy epic.fail)
Wednesday, March 12th, 2008
- 3 Crazy Monkey Videos My wife and I love monkeys, and gosh darnit, who doesn't? (tags: monkeys video)
- Amazingly Powerful Photograph This image is strongly moving and unquestionably meaningful. (tags: photography, photo, photojournalism, reuters)
- Creating A Minimalist Desktop My computer's desktop is totally free of icons and clutter. I file everything into project folders. My desk at home needs some work though. (tags: unclutter desktop minimalist.desktop)
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008
On my quest to lose weight and be healthy I have been going on walks through various Downtown LA districts almost every morning. Today I walked through the Fashion District and shot some photos. Here are a few highlights:
You can check out the rest in my Downtown LA Walkabout #5 gallery.
Monday, March 10th, 2008
Sunday, March 9th, 2008
- Unmanned Space Cargo Shop To Launch Will launch around 0400 GMT on Sunday, which is roughly 8:00 PM here in Los Angeles. It will carry over 7 tons of cargo to the International Space Station. I'd like to point out that we're still using a shuttle first flown over 30 years ago. (tags: space shuttle eu)
- Bush Says No to Anti-Torture Legislation Nothing like a president who can stand up against silly laws that would make torture illegal. Wait, isn't torture already illegal? (tags: bush cia torture veto)
- Your Caturday LOLCat Dance! (tags: lolcat caturday dance)
- Cool Story About the Tunnels Under The Downtown Los Angeles Civic Center I want to explore these! Can't believe they only have one photo with the article! (tags: latimes tunnels underground civic.center downtown.la downtownla)
Saturday, March 8th, 2008
I can't remember the last time I woke up at 6:00 AM on a Saturday morning when it didn't involve Search and Rescue. I didn't even set an alarm, but when I woke up and rolled over it was just a few minutes after six. I am really enjoying this early rising thing. I used to think I was more productive at night, but now that I'm getting up early I realize that I am actually a more effective worker in the morning.
As I mentioned the other day, I've been following the Zen Habits morning routine, although instead of fixing lunches for the kids, I feed the cats. I have also started getting ready for my day before I go to bed, again per Zen Habit's recommendations. I have really been enjoying the last point, reading myself to bed.
Today after breakfast I went for a brisk 45 minute walk around Downtown Los Angeles. I brought my camera along, and here are a few of the photos I shot:
You can check the rest of my Downtown LA Walkabout #4 photos here.
Friday, March 7th, 2008
Thursday, March 6th, 2008
As you may have noticed, I've been walking around Downtown to get exercise and shooting photos along the way. I'm trying to doing this every day. I think I'm going to do it first thing tomorrow morning after I wake up and have my glass of water (I stopped drinking coffee). I like the Zen Habits morning routing idea, I'm going to give it a shot. Anyhow, here are a few of the photos I shot earlier today:
You can check out the rest of my Downtown LA Walkabout #3 photos here.
Wednesday, March 5th, 2008
Toady I went for my second walkabout in Downtown Los Angeles, in what will be a series of many such walks. I shot a couple of photos of random interesting things that I saw. I really like the photo of the
flying rat pigeon above an alley. These photos were shot with my Canon 5D and a 16-35 f/2.8 L II lens.
Tuesday, March 4th, 2008
Monday, March 3rd, 2008
- LolCat of the Day Best lolcat ever? (tags: lolcat, milk.face)
- Another Great Gnarls Barkley Video "That was crazy fresh" (tags: gnarls.barkley crazy.fresh)
- Do people actually need Hybrid Gardening Multitools? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. (tags: hybrid.gardening.multitool inane silly wtf)
- Carbon Nanotube Cloth Sheets This is awesome, will change the world. Nanotech will change the world. (tags: carbon.nanotube, nantube, nanotech)
Saturday, March 1st, 2008
Friday, February 29th, 2008
Now that I'm 30 I've decided it is time to lose some weight. Part of that will involve adjusting my diet to lower my caloric intake. Another part will involve exercise. I am making the exercise part fun by going for an hour walk every day around Downtown and shooting photos along the way. I plan on going a different way each day to avoid monotony, today I walked over to Little Tokyo to drop off a Demand Warrant for DLANC. Here are a few photos I shot along the way:
You can check out the rest of my Downtown Walkabout photos here.
Update I totally forgot to mention that these were shot with my brand new lens, the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II. So far I'm really digging it. Also Jim Winstead pointed out the irony of my first choice of photo in a post about losing weight!
Thursday, February 28th, 2008
Tuesday, February 26th, 2008
Tomorrow is my 30th birthday, but instead of sending me gifts or cards, please donate to Midnight Mission:
Update: Note that although the donation form appear to not be secure, the from is contained in an iframe and is on an SSL enabled server.
Monday, February 25th, 2008
Friday, February 22nd, 2008
Thursday, February 21st, 2008
I made this video with roughly 500 shots from my Canon 5D. At some point I need to either buy or build an intervalometer. I have that generic Arduino kit that I need to put together and put to use. Sounds like another project in the making, just what I need.
Wednesday, February 20th, 2008
I don't think I had ever witnessed a complete lunar eclipse before. It was a cool experience. The weather in Downtown LA cleared up perfectly a few hours ago and it stayed clear until a cloud partially obscured the moon just after totality. Very beautiful:
I'm also exporting a video right now form the 579 stills I shot. Stand by for that. =]